Remember, a person who is unaware of a law may not escape liability for violating that law merely
because one was unaware of its content (Ignorantia juris non excusat). Tyre Club (tyre.co.zw) is here for
Failure to observe any of the regulations below will constitute an offence punishable by a fine not
exceeding level five or to a period of imprisonment not exceeding 6 months or both.
Statutory Instrument 154 of 2010: Road Traffic (Construction, Equipment & Use) Regulations 2010 came
into operation on 1 st December 2010 and replace the regulations of 1972 (Chapter 13:11) as last amended
The regulations lay minimum compliance requirements for motor vehicles construction and equipment and
fixtures required to be carried on or fixed to the vehicle. Of interest to you is what the provisions say
about your vehicle tyres, as stated below:
The Law Regarding Tyres:
- Minimum tread depth on any part of the tyre stated as 1mm.
- Regrooving of non-regroovable tyres prohibited.
- Tyres with exposed cords, lumps / bulges consistent with ply separation, tread lift prohibited.
- Adherence to tyre load and speed indices a must.
- Tyres must be of the right size and correctly inflated as per manufacturer’s specifications.
- Tyres on the same axle (i.e. the left and right tyres at the front of your car; or the ones at the back)
must be of the same size, type and construction.
- Re-treaded tyres outlawed on front axles of passenger public service vehicles and heavy vehicles
and passenger service vehicles without dual tyres.
- Serviceable Spare Wheel, working jack and appropriate wheel spanner mandatory,
Other provisions covered includes; reflectors in front and rear, reflective breakdown triangles, SAZ approved fire extinguisher, securing of seats, defective doors and panels, working speedometer, displaying gross and net mass, maintenance of engines (prohibition of using vehicles with defective exhausts, silencer, oil/grease/fuel leaks).
We hope you found this article useful.
If any or part of this article was not clear for you to interpret, we are just a call away. Contact us. When
you are ready for new tyres, you stand to benefit if you visit Tyre Club shops or search on our online shop
for great tyre deals. We call it BUYING TYRES FROM TYRE PEOPLE.
At Tyre Club we sell tyres for all vehicles and have over 30 brands to choose from, both
premium and budget brands at affordable prices. We offer tyre fitment services such as tyre repairs,
fitting, rotating, wheel balancing, 3D alignment and suspension.
Our tyres come with warranties that verify their longevity. We deliver tyres anywhere in Zimbabwe, we
also have a country-wide network of Fitment Partners to help you fit your tyres at your nearest reputable
fitment centre. Visit us today to buy the tyres you need for improved performance and safety, or Contact Us.
Statutory Instrument 154 Of 2010: Road Traffic (Construction, Equipment & Use) Regulations 2010.